Members & Projects
CREATING CLOSER BUSINESS LINKS WITH SCHOOLS
Hive is committed to supporting greater collaboration between the borough’s businesses and its education providers. In the latest business survey, almost 9 in 10 companies which had experienced recruitment difficulties cited a shortage of people with the right skills or attitudes.
Hive is engaging with partners to provide a framework for businesses to help them meet their future skills needs, and through facilitated involvement, seek ways in which education and business collaboration can add value to today’s businesses. In doing so it will support the borough’s young citizens by providing learning, experience and careers guidance.
How will it work?
Through a ‘Hive business school’ project, Hive and its partners will work to understand the needs of our schools. Similarly, we will work with Hive members to gauge the skill and capacity a business can offer the scheme. By co-ordinating the two, a clear engagement process can then be agreed matching the skills of the business to a school’s needs, while being mindful of the company’s availability to provide.
Is my business not too small?
No. Future job creation is likely to come from today’s smaller businesses, so your participation is vital to close a potential skills gap and ensure there are suitably skilled recruits in the future. All businesses have a role to play, and this is a great opportunity to determine the level of support you can offer as part of a much larger provision.
How might my business contribute?
Any one of the following would be a useful contribution in supporting our schools, and importantly the future of your business:
Enterprise and employment
· Hosting a visit to your place of work
· Pupil mentoring and career information and advice
· Work experience opportunities
· Attending jobs and careers fairs
· Helping with interview practice
· Running a competition or challenge
· Bringing subjects such as mathematics, language and science to life by using real life business situations
School leadership and governance
· Practical advice on areas such as HR, IT, change and project management
· Becoming a school governor
· Providing teacher work placements
If your business is interested in finding out more or participating in the Hive business school project, please email us here.